Enhance your knowledge and develop cutting-edge skills by taking individual courses or completing all six courses for the certificate.
Each course is self-paced and lasts roughly 10 weeks, with approximately two to five hours per week of work. Each course consists of online lectures, discussion board activities, knowledge checks, and outside reading.
You can enroll in any number of courses, including the full complement for a certificate. You’ll also have access to 24/7 technical support via a help line.
Each individual course is approximately $3,000, and the overall cost for the 6-course certificate is $15,887.
Summer (starting 2018)
21st Century Legal Services
You’ll learn critical market insights and strategic and tactical recommendations for operating a law firm or legal services business. The coursework will focus on the current upheaval in the market and how to compete successfully in the new legal services landscape to come.
- The nature of the market forces changing the legal services environment and how those forces will shape the radically different evolution of the market in the coming years and decades
- Pressing demands clients will make of their legal services providers in the new legal market
- Practical know-how to meet emerging and growing demands better than your competitors
- Important elements of successful legal services businesses in the new market and how to integrate these elements into the internal design and operations of your business
You’ll learn the functions that make up the evolving roles in legal operations, specifically across corporate legal departments:
- Alternative fee agreements and creative new delivery models
- Opportunities legal technology can bring to business
Fall (starting 2018)
Process Improvement & Legal Project Management
You will learn how to deliver legal services with greater efficiency and effectiveness. By learning process improvement and legal project management, you’ll gain competitive advantages in the marketplace.
- Important process improvement toolkits (Lean and Six Sigma) and the main concepts behind each
- 5 key phases (DMAIC) in executing a process improvement project
- Skills and resources needed for process improvement practitioners
- Project descriptions for the context of a legal environment
Design Thinking for Legal Professionals
Design thinking is a method of innovation that integrates the needs of users, the possibilities of technology, and the requirements for users’ success. This course will focus on the application of these skills for legal professionals from the full spectrum of work within the field.
- Human-centered approaches to solving problems by identifying the needs of end-users and building solutions that provide them maximum value
- Developing prototypes, testing them, and iteratively improving these tools for better results
- Understanding the operations of organizations and how to improve those organizations
Spring (starting 2019)
Legal Technology Toolkit
Understanding the significance of technology to the delivery of legal services is vital. This course focuses on hands-on learning with tools that are changing the work of legal professionals.
- Specific tools to make a legal workplace more efficient
- The right tools for a complex legal project
- Use cases for existing technologies and emerging tools for legal professionals
The Business of Delivering Legal Services
As new methods and tools impact society, there will be increasing changes to the structures of legal organizations. This course will focus on the impacts of tech on law firms and law departments.
- Working with new technology within existing legal structures
- Interacting within departments based on technological changes and infrastructure issues posed by these technologies